Breastfeeding friendly clothes that don't suck.

16.3.17

I've been searching for a long time. It's coming up three years since our first sweet baby girl entered our lives and when I think about the things I used to wear when breastfeeding her, it makes me shudder. I looked everywhere. Scoured the internet during those 3am nursing sessions and came back with nothing. Nothing nice anyway. This time around, I was prepared for the need to access the milk bar when and where baby saw fit, but I also wanted clothes that weren't super obvious they were nursing tops, and could be worn long after I'd finished feeding. I've put together a bit of a list of my faves below.



I hadn't had much need for dresses the first time around but at the end of last year we had a wedding to attend in Byron Bay on NYE and our littlest was 8 weeks. I was preparing for mid-wedding-vows cluster feeding. Dress code was 'beach chic' and i definitely wasn't feeling beachy or chic-y in all my post baby glam (cue white legs, bf sweats, residual baby weight, etc etc). I needed a dress that was functional but made me feel human, and, dammit, I wanted to feel beautiful. It also needed to have discreet access to the milk bar in order to not draw unwanted attention (I'm all for breastfeeding in public by the way, but I'd rather go unnoticed amidst speeches from the father of the groom). I stumbled upon Fillyboo Maternity and instantly fell in love with the '"Double Trouble" Nursing Dress'. The name doesn't do it justice. It's a beautiful natural/creamy blush colour (sort of off white) and the bodice and the high/low skirt are finished in lace. The overlay lifts up for feeding access but if you didn't know it, you'd never guess it was a feeding dress. It's seriously stunning, and that night I felt (almost) as glamorous as the rest of them. The dress retails for $195US and shipping is FREE worldwide.

'Double Trouble' Nursing Dress



Ok, can I just say, I HATE shelf bras. With a passion. I had mastitis more times than I can count with my first babe and that elastic, I swear, just made it so much worse. If you are new to breastfeeding clothing, let me just tell you that pretty much all singlets with nursing clips have shelf bras in them, it's the only way to allow for the drop down strap. I did find one singlet from ASOS that has no shelf elastic and I wear these under tops that aren't made for bf (ones I can just lift up). They're a great base layer and aren't too short (why are all the feeding singlets short! Post baby tum anyone?). They're $51 AU for a black & white 2 pack (plus free shipping worldwide).

ASOS Nursing Cami


My favourite tops right now are these Hudson Tanks from Free People. They come in 6 different colourways (pictured are the Petal pink and Oasis grey) and are very lightweight cotton slub type fabric. I find they drape well so are quite flattering. The domes at the front allow for easy feeding access and they go so well shorts or longs. I'll be throwing a leather jacket over these as the weather gets cooler and continuing to wear them through Autumn at least. One thing to be mindful of, is that they are very loose fitting because of the cut. You'll need to wear another singlet underneath, otherwise you'll be exposed when bending over (to pick the toddler up because she's 'too tired' to walk anymore). I'm usually a size 8-10 on top and I ordered the S. I think I could have gone one size down and it still would have fit well, but the S isn't a bad fit either. These tanks are a little on the spenny side, but I don't mind paying a little more for things that I will be wearing regularly. These retail at $80NZD and shipping is free over $150USD (just be mindful of the conversion so you're not stung with customs fees over the $300 threshold).



The other everyday tops that I can't get enough of are these basic tanks from Legoe Heritage. I have both the navy & white stripe and the ice blue Riviera tanks and these are on high rotation each week. I love that they have a high neck so there's no accidental nip slips or unwanted cleavage exposure. It also means I can wear some of my gorgeous feeding bras (I'll get to these soon) and a small part of them shows through the arm holes. Retail for $79AU but currently $39 on sale. I bought direct from the Legoe Heritage website.

Riviera Tank


Lastly - bras. A good nursing bra is everything. I am so picky with my feeding bras because padded bras were too firm and dug in in places, but ones with no padding showed nipple through my tops or you could see the outline of nursing pads through them. First time around I ended up with some super comfy but ugly bras that did the job but made thin strapped tops a no-go. I was so happy when I found these Cosabella 'Never Say Never Mommie' bras. They have the beautiful lace look of a bralette, enough structure to hide any nipples or nursing pads, but the softness to be able to wear comfortably all day long. They really look so gorgeous under all my bf tops, and you'd never know they had feeding access! They have pull down clips like regular nursing bras, but have no adjustment across the back as they're stretchy, so you pull them on over your head instead. I'd say they're slightly on the small side, so I ordered a M (I think I'm about a 10D right now) and they fit perfectly. I ended up getting mine from Amazon here.



I'm a bit of a Plain Jane when it comes to clothing, and like to stick to the basics, so the items I've picked will match whatever bottoms I feel like wearing, and can be layered with cardis or jackets when the weather gets cooler. And that dress. That dress is so amazing! I have worn it so much already & I'll be wearing it long after I finish breastfeeding too. I hope this post helps a few of you find some breastfeeding clothes and bras that make you feel good. Sometimes it's hard to feel amazing when you're covered in milk spew and questionably coloured stains all over your clothes, but these will help, promise.

K
x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram